Repsol Sinopec Brasil estimates that Block BM-C-33, in the deepwater Campos Basin, contains resources of more than 700 million barrels of light oil and 3 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of gas, the company has announced.
The announcement confirms the fact that the Brazilian offshore is one of the areas with the highest hydrocarbon reserves growth in the world.
The partners are working on an appraisal plan for the area, to be submitted to the Brazilian National Agency of Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels (ANP).
Repsol Sinopec Brasil is the operator of the discovering consortium, holding 35%, partnered by Statoil (35%) and Petrobras (30%).
Block BM-C-33, off the coast of the State of Rio de Janeiro, is the site of the recent Seat, Gávea and Pão de Açúcar discoveries.
Pão de Açúcar (eng. Sugarloaf Mountain), one of the world’s top five discoveries in 2012, is named after a peak situated in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, at the mouth of Guanabara Bay on a peninsula that sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean.
Tim Dodson of Statoil says: “The development of BM-C-33, including the Pão discovery, in 2800 meters of water will represent exciting new challenges for the partnership and the industry. Statoil’s exploration strategy focuses on high impact wells and the deepening of core areas. The pre-salt success shows that we are delivering on our strategy.”
The total estimated resources of these three accumulations represent at least 700 million barrels of light oil and 3 Tcf of gas (equivalent to 545 million barrels of oil). The latest well, Pão de Açúcar, was drilled in approximately 2,800 meters of water depth and 195 km from the coast of the State of Rio de Janeiro, and found a 500 meters-thick oil column.
Repsol Sinopec Brasil was created at the end of 2010 to develop exploration and production projects in the country. Repsol has 60% stake and Sinopec owns the remaining 40%.
Offshore Energy Today Staff, May 24, 2012