Hansa wraps up 3D shoot off The Netherlands

Hansa Hydrocarbons Limited (Hansa) has announced that it has successfully completed its large 3D seismic survey across the 4Quads licence blocks G18, H16, M3 and N1, offshore Netherlands.

The survey covered approximately 965 square km and was located 40 km to the north of the Wadden Islands in the Dutch North Sea and adjacent to the German/Dutch median line. The survey was conducted by the WG Amundsen vessel of WesternGeco, a subsidiary company of Schlumberger, the global oil and gas service provider.

Targets

The target of the seismic survey is the extension of Lower Rotliegend (Havel) sandstones that have been tested successfully in the adjacent German H&L blocks in which Hansa holds a 20% interest. The work to date suggests that the 4Quads holds the potential for some of the largest accumulations remaining in the basin.

“Hansa expects that following the processing and interpretation of the seismic data it will be possible to demonstrate the likely development of thicker Havel sandstones over parts of a mega closure. This will allow prospective well locations to be determined in the course of 2015 and to start with exploration drilling in 2016,” the company explained in the release.

John Martin, Hansa Hydrocarbon’s CEO, said: “The successful completion of this 3D survey marks an important milestone in the appraisal of the 4Quads licences. Operating a large offshore survey in such a busy area presented many challenges including environmental, military, shipping and windfarm concerns, and its successful execution is a credit to the Hansa team and our contractors. Having invested much effort in understanding the regional geology of the Lower Rotliegend sands in the area, we are confident that the 3D seismic is the right tool to significantly de-risk this play. With conventional prospective resources in excess of 2 trillion cubic feet of gas-in-place, the 4Quads is of strategic importance not just for Hansa but also for the Dutch economy.”

Specific environmental measures

In the design and execution of the survey, Hansa made significant efforts to minimize the impact on the environment. In particular, a key objective was to minimise disturbance to sea mammals through the introduction of specific measures due the proximity of the Borkum Riffgrund Natura 2000 environmental area. These included not starting seismic acquisition when sea mammals are observed in the area through visual and acoustic monitoring and the deployment of acoustic deterrents. The activity complied with the conditions set out in the permit of the Natuurbeschermingswet (Dutch Environmental Protection Act) and exemption of the Flora- en faunawet (Flora and Fauna Act).

Hansa, as operator, holds a 60% interest in the licences. The remaining 40% is held by EBN, the Dutch state entity.

Press Release, September 08, 2014; Image: Shipspotting (Richard Paton)

Share this article

Follow Offshore Energy Today

Events>

<< Aug 2019 >>
MTWTFSS
29 30 31 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1

OEE Conference & Exhibition 2019

OEE2019 is organised by Ocean Energy Europe, the industry association representing ocean energy in Europe.

read more >

Shanghai Int Petrochemical and Offshore Oil & Gas and Chemical Industry Technology and Equipment Exhibition 2019

cippe Shanghai has attracts both…

read more >

OWI LATAM 2019

Over the two-day conference, 25+ expert speakers will share exclusive insight on how to develop an integrity, production and P&A strategy…

read more >

Uganda International Oil and Gas Summit 2019

Uganda International Oil & Gas Summit will once again examine the industry’s developments…

read more >

Jobs>

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply