Jamaica’s first 3D survey further de-risks Colibri prospect, UOG says

Oil and gas explorer Tullow has delivered the fast track version of the recently acquired 3D seismic dataset from what was Jamaica’s first 3D seismic survey.

Image source: Pixabay

This follows the completion of a 2,250 sq km 3D seismic acquisition survey on the license in May.

The Polarcus-acquired 3D seismic survey which is the first to have been acquired in Jamaica, forms part of a programme focused on de-risking highly prospective Cretaceous and Tertiary-aged clastic and carbonate reservoir targets that have been mapped by Tullow on 2D seismic data, UOG said.

Among the targets identified is Colibri, which has been estimated from 2D data to hold gross mean-case prospective resources of over 200mmbbls.

Per United Oil & Gas, a partner in the Walton-Morant offshore license containing the Colibri prospect, the 3D survey provided a better view of the previously mapped target.

UOG said: “Encouragingly, the high-grade Colibri target, which had previously been mapped on 2D seismic, has been clearly identified on the fast track version of the 3D seismic dataset.”

According to United Oil & Gas, the technical case for Colibri has been further strengthened by the recent identification of an active thermogenically derived offshore oil seep to the south of the structure.

Initial opinion is that the fast track 3D seismic data is of excellent quality with the Colibri structure clearly visible on the newly acquired dataset. Processing and interpretation work is now underway and the Company will provide a further update to the market once this has been completed and final volumes are available.

United Oil & Gas Plc CEO, Brian Larkin, said, “The work programme to de-risk the 200mmbbl Colibri target on Walton-Morant continues to proceed on schedule and under budget. Being able to clearly identify Colibri on the 3D seismic at such an early stage is highly encouraging and with this in mind, we are looking forward to the processing and interpretation work being completed.”

United Oil & Gas has previously said that the final processed data-sets could be available later in 2018.

Subject to the results, an exploration well could be drilled in 2020-2021, with success significantly de-risking numerous follow-up structures that have already been identified across the license.

Tullow holds an 80% interest in the license and the remaining 20% is held by United Oil & Gas.

Offshore Energy Today Staff

Share this article

Follow Offshore Energy Today

Events>

<< Apr 2019 >>
MTWTFSS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 1 2 3 4 5

GeoConvention 2019

GeoConvention offers some of the best local and international insights to efficient energy exploration…

read more >

16th MOSCOW INTERNATIONAL OIL AND GAS EXHIBITION

The Moscow International Oil & Gas Exhibition display products like oil and gas products, oil and gas services…

read more >

Erbil International Oil & Gas Exhibition 2019

The event will be held at the Erbil International Fair Ground which is one of the largest energy related events in Iraq…

read more >

THE 24 th IRAN INTERNATIONAL OIL , GAS , REFINING & PETROCHEMICAL EXHIBITION

The second largest OPEC producer, Iran sits atop 11 percent of oil and 18 percent of gas…

read more >

Jobs>

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply