Maturing offshore oil and gas fields around the world and the looming prospect of asset retirement have resulted in a 65% increase in registrations at the biggest decommissioning and abandonment gathering in the world, organizers say.
More than 350 attendees are confirmed to date at the event taking place in Houston in March, 65% up on this time last year. Organizer DecomWorld said total attendance of industry executives is expected to be well over 700 at its 6th Annual Decommissioning & Abandonment Summit.
Twenty-one different operator companies have confirmed their attendance, including ExxonMobil, Shell, Chevron, BP, ConocoPhillips, Petrobras, Marathon Oil, and Anadarko.
The exhibition hall has nearly sold out with more than 60 major service providers having booked space, including Baker Hughes, Weatherford, Montco Offshore and Versabar.
“With the steep decline in production in the North Sea and the backlog of decommissioning growing in Asia Pacific, operators know they can’t put it off any longer,” said DecomWorld project director Phil Chadney.
“They and major service providers are keener than ever to plug into international networks and get the lowdown on the latest thinking and best practice. They also need to shore up their supply chains. We’re seeing it so clearly in our figures.”
Keynote presentations are geared to challenge the status quo, including Stone Energy’s presentation on why operators spend too much money on asset retirement.
Workshops and interactive panel debates will offer insights into approaches to decommissioning challenges and opportunities in the Gulf of Mexico, including deepwater abandonment, cost-estimation and international decommissioning market developments.
The 6th Annual Decommissioning & Abandonment Summit takes place 10-12 March, 2014 in Houston. Click here for more information.
Press Release, January 24, 2014