Repsol hits pay in GoM’s Leon well

Repsol has made a new discovery of “high quality” oil in the United States’ Gulf of Mexico.

The find was made 352 kilometres from the Louisiana coast in an ultra-deep water well named Leon, located in the Keathley Canyon 642 block.

Repsol is the operator of the discovering consortium. The well found more than 150 metres of net oil pay within a column of over 400 metres. The well was drilled in water 1,865 metres deep, and reached a total depth of 9,684 metres, making it one of the deepest wells operated by the company.

The company has a long experience in deep-water well drilling and is internationally recognised for its technological capacity with cutting-edge projects in hydrocarbon exploration and production such as the Kaleidoscope and Sherlock projects, Repsol said in the release.

Repsol has a 60% participation in the license, with Colombia’s Ecopetrol holding the remaining 40%. The US Gulf of Mexico is amongst the world’s most profitable and promising deep water plays. Repsol holds 119 blocks in this prolific area together with a share in the Shenzi field, which boasts 16 wells in production connected to two platforms.

The resource potential being carried out by the current operator will lead to a development plan for the field in the near future.

Press Release

 

Share this article

Follow Offshore Energy Today

Events>

<< Jun 2019 >>
MTWTFSS
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Shanghai Int Petrochemical and Offshore Oil & Gas and Chemical Industry Technology and Equipment Exhibition 2019

cippe Shanghai has attracts both domestic and overseas buyer groups, including Shell, Exxon Mobil, Total…

read more >

OIL & GAS PHILIPPINES 2019

Oil & Gas Philippines event display products like Oil & gas, fire protection systems and materials…

read more >

Nigeria Oil & Gas Conference & Exhibition 2019

The annual meeting once again proved to be a great success, gathering over 700 industry professionals…

read more >

08th OIL & GAS AFRICA 2019 CONFERENCE

OIL & GAS AFRICA is one of the most prime regional & international Oil and Gas conferences in East Africa…

read more >

Jobs>

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply