Shell has evacuated eighty workers from one of its UK North Sea platform. The news first broke on the Scottish television website STV on Monday.
In an e-mail to Offshore Energy Today on Monday, a Shell spokesperson confirmed there had been an evacuation of Brent Bravo platform on Sunday night.
A Shell spokesman said: “Shell UK can confirm that an incident occurred on Sunday evening on its Brent Bravo platform, located approximately 115 miles north east of Lerwick.
“Personnel on the platform were called to muster following damage to one of the structure’s legs. As a precaution, all non-essential personnel were moved to other nearby Brent platforms. Relevant authorities have been notified. Further information will be provided as it becomes available.”
While there have been reports that the damage was caused by a storm, the Shell spokesperson said: “No the damage was noticed late afternoon and ordinarily maintenance would be scheduled straight away but due to the storm we preceded with the evacuation for safety. Maintenance will begin today.”
According to STV, the workers were transferred to the Brent Charlie and Brent Delta platforms.
The Brent Bravo platform ceased production in November 2014. First oil from the platform started flowing in November 1976.
Offshore Energy Today Staff