Shell’s Appomattox platform inspected by U.S. offshore safety regulator

Appomattox hull arriving in the U.S.

Engineers and inspectors at the U.S. Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) have signed off on several topsides components during a pre-production inspection of Shell’s Appomattox platform. 

Shell is a 79 percent owner while its partner Nexen Petroleum Offshore U.S.A., a subsidiary of CNOOC, holds the remaining 21 percent. The platform will be located 80 miles off Louisiana’s coast in the Mississippi Canyon.

The Appomatox hull arrived in the U.S. in October last year, marking a new phase of construction. As Shell finishes construction on its Appomattox platform hull, the U.S. offshore safety agency signed off on several topsides components during a pre-production inspection on March 27, 2018.

The BSEE said on Monday that the inspection involved ten inspectors divided into two groups, each simultaneously inspecting different areas of the facility for three consecutive days. Each group concentrated on various processes, components, and equipment.

Anthony Pizza, BSEE New Orleans district production operations section chief, said: “Appomattox will be Shell’s largest floating platform in the Gulf of Mexico. The purpose of our inspection is to ensure the topsides are constructed as planned, meet industry and BSEE standards and comply with federal regulations.”

According to Shell, the platform is slated for first oil by the end of this decade and will add about 175,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day to the nation’s supply.

“Our engineers and inspectors are working with Shell to ensure the Appomattox is prepared to operate in a safe and environmentally sustainable manner. With an estimated 650 million barrels of recoverable oil equivalent in the field, the potential contribution to America’s energy needs is great,” added Pizza.

Before production can begin, BSEE engineers and inspectors will perform an additional inspection after the Appomattox is moved to its fixed location.

Once completed, the Appomattox platform will be installed at Shell’s Appomattox field in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. The final investment decision for the project was made back in July 2015.

The Appomattox project will consist of a semi-submersible, four-column production host platform, a subsea system featuring six drill centers, 15 producing wells, and five water injection wells.

The platform, which will be moored in approximately 7,200 feet of water, will be initially producing from the Appomattox and Vicksburg fields.

Share this article

Follow Offshore Energy Today

Events>

<< Dec 2019 >>
MTWTFSS
25 26 27 28 29 30 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 1 2 3 4 5

Africa Oil Week 2020

For over 25 years Africa Oil Week has been the meeting place for Africa’s most senior E&P stakeholders.

read more >

CERAWeek 2020

 Each year, CERA clients gathered for a few days in Houston…

read more >

Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) 2020

The Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) showcases leading-edge technology for offshore drilling, exploration…

read more >

2020 EXPLORATION AND PRODUCTION STANDARDS CONFERENCE ON OILFIELD EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS

The development of consensus standards is one of API’s oldest and most successful programs.

read more >

Jobs>

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply