Wellesley gets safety nod to use Transocean rig for North Sea well

Norway’s offshore safety watchdog, the Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA), has given its consent to Wellesley Petroleum to drill an exploration well in the North Sea using the Transocean Arctic drilling rig. 

The consent was granted for the exploration well  35/12-6 S located in production license 925 in the North Sea where Wellesley is the operator with a 90% interest. Its partner Concedo holds the remaining 10%. The license was awarded as part of the APA 2017 licensing round.

The objective of the well is to investigate a prospect named Kallåsen. The drilling site is in the north-eastern part of the North Sea, 14 kilometers south-west of the Gjøa field and 18 kilometers north-east of Vega Sør. Water depth at the site is 355 meters.

According to the safety agency, the drilling is scheduled to begin in early May and operations are estimated to last 28 days if the well is dry and up to 71 days if hydrocarbons are found.

The well will be drilled using the Transocean Arctic, which is a semi-submersible drilling rig of the Marosso 56 type, built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in Japan in 1987. It is classified by DNV GL and registered in the Marshall Islands.

The rig is operated by Transocean and received Acknowledgement of Compliance (AoC) from the PSA in July 2004.

Share this article

Follow Offshore Energy Today

Events>

<< May 2019 >>
MTWTFSS
29 30 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2

08th OIL & GAS AFRICA 2019 CONFERENCE

OIL & GAS AFRICA is one of the most prime regional & international Oil and Gas conferences in East Africa…

read more >

FPSO Brazil Congress 2019

Charging ahead with 24 planned orders by 2022, Brazil has once again solidified its status as one of the world’s foremost oil and gas leaders…

read more >

OWI WA 2019

West Africa’s only dedicated Offshore Well Intervention Conference is returning for its second year…

read more >

OIL & GAS PHILIPPINES 2019

Oil & Gas Philippines event display products like Oil & gas, fire protection systems and materials…

read more >

Jobs>

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply

Looking to fill a job opening?

By advertising your job here, on the homepage of OffshoreEnergyToday.com, you'll reach countless professionals in the sector. For more information, click below...

apply